ULI/REAP Online Academy – Fall 2021
Includes a Live Event on 10/18/2021 at 5:00 PM (EDT)
ULI/REAP Online Academy – Fall 2021
With successful in-person and virtual academies for the past 23 years, Project REAP (The Real Estate Associate Program) – the industry’s leading effort to advance diversity, equity and inclusion in the commercial real estate industry – returns this Fall for the ULI/REAP Online Academy.
The Academy, delivered in collaboration with ULI (the Urban Land Institute), will provide real estate education for students, professionals, and the public. This strategic partnership will build on a long-standing relationship and commitment to bridge the gap between talented diverse professionals and the world of commercial real estate. The 8-week Academy will provide a suite of on-demand courses, live webinars, and panel discussions taught by senior-level experts in the commercial real estate industry.
Additionally, successful completion of the program will provide participants with a free 1 year membership to ULI, a leading global real estate industry association that offers educational and professional networking opportunities. The value of the membership may exceed the cost of the tuition for the Academy.
What You Will Learn:
The purpose of this online course is to introduce commercial real estate terminology, concepts, and processes, that will lay the foundation for a successful career in commercial real estate.
The live sessions of the Academy (which will include access to the on-demand module, videos and downloaded resources) will be held on Monday and Thursday from 5pm to 6:30pm during the 8-week schedule. Instructors are recruited from REAP's corporate sponsors, premiere CRE firms and the CRE departments within major corporations. They include, but are not limited to: Starbucks, JBG Smith, JLL, Starwood Capital Group, Nuveen and Marcus & Millichap. A total of 13 to 14 live sessions are planned inclusive of virtual networking opportunities with fellow participants, instructors and past REAP alumni. These connections provide a foundation for further networking opportunities involving the complimentary Urban Land Institute (ULI) membership that each participating fellow receives as part of his/her tuition.
A sampling of the live session topics are as follows:
- group investment & real estate fund formation
- legal issues in commercial real estate
- mixed-use development
- retail site selection
- office leasing
- multifamily finance/investment
- the career pathing experiences of past Academy graduates
- healthcare facility leasing and/or investment
- sustainable development
Participants should expect to spend approximately four-six hours to complete the weekly courses, including the on demand modules. Click here for a snap shot of the on demand course schedule.
Applicants must have a 4-year degree (or be a current graduating senior) from an accredited institution and demonstrate an interest in commercial real estate. Prior real estate experience is not a prerequisite as REAP seeks candidates from across a wide spectrum of disciplines. The tuition cost is $850.00.
Due to reported disruptions as a result of Hurricane Ida, the application window for the Fall Academy is now extended to Monday, September 13, 2021! The application portal will close on that date at 8:00 pm EST. Classes will still begin on Monday, October 18.
Note that the application is in two parts; both must be completed. The application is Part 1 and is accessed by clicking here; Part 2 (a professional background and career survey) is accessed by clicking here. The application process is competitive. Reminder: be sure to submit your application by no later than Monday, September 13, 2021 at 8:00 pm EST.
Sign up here to be notified of future programs.
This course contains much of the same material as ULI's FoRE Certificate, modified for REAP.
The purpose of this course is to introduce commercial real estate terms, concepts, and processes, that will lay the foundation for a career in commercial real estate. Taught by esteemed faculty and industry leaders, this course is divided into eight sections, running across 8 weeks with three to six hours of content each week.
- Introduction to Real Estate Development and Commercial Real Estate
- Intro to Real Estate Finance: Obtaining Funding & Entitlements
- Intro to Real Estate Finance: Financial Concepts, Tools and Time Value of Money
- Underwriting, Risk and Return, and Capital Sources
- Retail and Mixed Use Development
- Pro Forma Excel Modeling
- Pro Forma and Commercial RE Case Studies
- REAP Study Week
Commercial Real estate experience is not necessary for selection as REAP seeks to identify minority individuals from across a wide spectrum of disciplines interested in a career in commercial real estate. Applicants must have a 4-year degree (or current graduating senior) from an accredited institution.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the real estate ecosystem, including the roles and responsibilities of the primary players in this landscape.
- Identify the critical phases of the real estate development process, as well as the major tasks and processes undertaken to make well-informed and responsible decisions.
- Identify and use the fundamental financial concepts employed by professionals.
- Recognize, understand, and use the elements of the primary financial instrument employed by professionals to describe the elements of a real estate development transaction: the pro forma.
- Describe the risk/reward landscape of common real estate transactions such as purchases and leases. Understand the ethical dimension of development by being able to describe the impact to the world and future generations of well-planned projects versus poorly planned projects.
This course is conducted entirely online over the course of eight weeks. Each week, participants should expect to spend approximately 4-6 hours completing the weekly courses, which will include access to the on-demand weekly module, videos, downloadable resources, and live webinars. A quiz will be provided at the end of each module.